Support and assistance for the elderly in Stockholm County

When you get older, various kinds of support and assistance are needed to live safely and independently. It is the municipality that offers help and support to the elderly, called elderly care.

Home services and special housing for the elderly

(Hemtjänst och särskilda bostäder för äldre)

Elderly people who need assistance in their daily life can get home services from their municipality. That means municipal staff come and help with cleaning, hygiene and food in the home.

If you need more help and care, you can live in special housing for the elderly. There are several different kinds.

To apply for home help services or assisted living facilities for the elderly, contact a social worker in your municipality.

Fixer service for the elderly

(Fixarservice för äldre)

A fixer is a person who can help out with basic daily chores that can be difficult to manage on your own and may entail a risk of falling or getting hurt. A fixer is not meant to replace the home-help service or craftsmen. Some examples of daily chores are changing light bulbs, putting up/taking down curtains, nailing or drilling up pictures, collecting things from the cellar, attic or high cabinets, arranging cords, etc.

Power of attorney


A power of attorney involves the right to represent somebody else, such as an elderly person who needs the help of a relative or another person to take care of contacts with pharmacies, banks and the authorities. Most often, the power of attorney must be in writing to be accepted. The banks have their own forms that can be used, for example. Contact the authorities and your bank for more information.







Follow by Email